Am I Addicted?
There are many ways to determine whether you or a loved one may have a problem with alcohol or other substances. You will find a series of questions below that will help you understand more about the likelihood of the need for treatment. The questions and the answers that you provide will hopefully illuminate the answers you are seeking. Please note that while these questions below are used to determine the presence and/or severity of substance use disorders, this page and any results that you produce, are not to be construed as medical care or diagnosis.
- Have you ever felt you should cut down on your drinking?
- Have people annoyed you by criticizing your drinking?
- During the past year, have you had a feeling of guilt or remorse after drinking?
- Do you sometimes take a drink in the morning when you first get up?
- During the past year, has a friend or family member ever told you about things you said or did while you were drinking that you could not remember?
- During the past year, have you failed to do what was normally expected of you because of drinking?
- During the past year, have you lost friends or girlfriends or boyfriends because of drinking?
- During the past year, have you missed work, school or home responsibilities due to your substance use?
- During the past year, have you put yourself or others in danger by driving an automobile or operating a machine while under the influence of a substance.
- During the past year, have you had any interaction with the law such as arrests, being pulled over, police at your home as a result of a substance.
- During the past year, have you used a substance despite knowing that is causes social and interpersonal problems such as arguing with loved ones or friends.
Self-Scoring (either test)
Count the number of “Yes” responses.
|Score||Degree of Risk for Alcohol or Drug Addiction|
|0||No risk to low risk|
|1||At risk, please call (800) 300-6716 for further assessment.|
|2 and above||Moderate to high risk. Treatment recommended, please call (800) 300-6716.|
If your score shows a moderate to high risk, we encourage you to take action today. That means that you should at least talk with a professional about your use, so you have a clearer idea of what it means.
You are welcome to call us at 1-800-300-6716 to discuss your situation.